The Incredible Years® Small Group Dinosaur Group Leaders Training 2023
What is The Incredible Years® Small Group Dinosaur Treatment Programme?
The Small Group Dinosaur treatment curriculum is for counsellors, therapists, or special education teachers to treat children with conduct problems, ADHD, and internalising problems. It is delivered in 2-hour weekly small group sessions (6 children per group) for 18-22 weeks. Ideally it is offered in conjunction with the 2-hour weekly parenting program group sessions so parents have an opportunity to foster their children’s learning in Dinosaur School in their interactions with them at home.
The Incredible Years® Small Group Dinosaur (IYSD) Group Leaders Training
|Treatment Programme (5-8 years)||23, 24, 25, 28 & 29 Aug 2023|
Time: 9 am – 12.15 pm
Venue: Zoom Online
This 5-day workshop will present in depth the intervention programme developed by Dr. Carolyn Webster-Stratton, designed to promote children’s problem-solving skills, appropriate classroom behaviours and positive social skills.
Programme topics include:
- Understanding feelings
- Regulating emotions
The programme utilises puppet play, group work, and fun activities to teach children these skills.
The intervention programme is appropriate for use by clinicians/therapists with small groups of children (4 – 8) who have behaviour problems, either in mental health settings or in schools as “pull-out” sessions. Participants in this training should have experience with groups of children and a graduate degree in social work, psychology, education, nursing, counselling, or a related degree.
After this training, group leaders can offer this 18 – 22 week curriculum to groups of children aged 5 – 8 years old in a therapeutic setting.
Goals of the Training
The workshop trains professionals in:
- Promoting children’s emotional, social and academic competencies, and reduce aggressive and non-compliant behaviours
- Strengthening children’s social skills and appropriate play skills (turn-taking, waiting, asking, sharing, helping and complimenting)
- Promoting children’s use of self-control strategies as effective problem-solving steps and effective anger management strategies
- Increasing emotional awareness by labelling feelings, recognising the differing views of oneself and others, and enhancing perspective-taking
- Boosting academic success, reading and school readiness
- Reducing defiance, aggressive behaviour, and related conduct problems such as non-compliance, peer aggression and rejection, bullying, stealing and lying
- Decreasing children’s negative cognitive attributions and conflict management approaches
- Increasing self-esteem and self-confidence
About the Trainer
Kimberlee Shoecraft has been a social services practitioner for more than 14 years and a Certified Mentor and Trainer for The Incredible Years® since 2009. She has facilitated parent groups, parent and infant groups and children groups for many years with high-risk populations. Kimberlee also provides training programs for social service professionals both in America and internationally. Kimberlee has a B.S. in Sociology, Master’s in Social Work and a Post Graduate Certificate Program in Psychological Trauma.
Who should attend
- Social Workers
- Special Education Teachers
- Family Life Education Trainers
- Social Service Professionals
- Psychoeducation Therapists
A ‘Certificate of Attendance’ from The Incredible Years® will be presented to participants after completion of the programme.
Registration closes 26 May 2023
For enquiries and to register, please reach out to Sarah at +65 8932 4808 or email email@example.com with subject title “IYSD Group Leaders”
Registration will only be confirmed upon receipt of completed registration form and full payment.
Space is limited. Register early!